The arrival of fall often brings out the cocooning in us. We want all things warm and cozy. I for one, cannot have enough candles in my home during the long period of darkness. Warm blankets to cuddle up in must be in every room and my go to appliance is my gas fireplace.
In order to prepare for the inevitable darkness and cooler weather there are a few things that I cannot live without (or would prefer not to).
10 Must have items for the Fall
- Soy or beeswax candles Buy soy candles that are scented with essential oils rather than fragrance oil for best results. However, if you prefer the longer lasting fragrance oils, get candles that contain phthalate free fragrance oil. Beeswax candles are naturally honey smelling so they are generally sold without any e/o’s or fragrance.
- A knitted blanket – I especially love the sellers that are on Etsy such as La Reserve Design (currently on maternity leave) and Handmade by ChrisNKris If you’re not into knitted, check out the beautiful blankets at Restoration Hardware.
- An essential oil diffuser – I use a diffuser to keep my mood upbeat during the day and calm before bed. My two favorites are this one which also comes in black and brown and this Canadian made one from Vitruvi which was profiled on Goop.com and now comes in five different colors.
- A wooden bowl – Practical and beautiful, I use them all over the house to hold wool, fruit, my dryer balls, you name it. They also make a statement when added to the center of a table or shelf. Check out the work of Stinson Studios and Scott Alexander on the web or Instagram to be blown away.
Fresh flowers – I need to feel life around me when there are no leaves on the trees and everything is gray. Their beautiful colors bring life to my home and energize me.
- Tea – In my opinion there is nothing better than a cup of tea when the wind is howling outside. Being born to English and Scottish parents, tea is a staple in my house. Nothing makes me feel better than a cup of tea. I like to drink black tea but for those of you who prefer lighter teas, Numi Tea and Mountain Rose Herbs (one of my fave places to get organic ingredients) have a great variety for you to try.
- A plaid blanket scarf – I love plaid but I guess I’m a bit biased (my name is MacKenzie after all). Perfect for those fall and winter months, the blanket scarf can be worn inside or outside making it my “go to” accessory. Check out some scarves here.
- Lined rubber boots – These are a must for me. I use my lined, rubber boots in fall, winter and spring and nothing can beat them for keeping my feet warm & dry. I add an extra pair of warm socks during the winter months because I live in Montreal where -25C is a regular occurence.
- Floral hot chocolate – Regular hot chocolate is good but I like to step it up a bit by adding rose water or lavender. Also make sure to use 70% dark chocolate for a more intense version. For sweeter hot chocolate use white chocolate.
- A good book – One of my favorite books is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It is a fable and you will either love it or hate it. There doesn’t seem to be any in-between. However if a fable isn’t your cup of tea, this list should offer you something you may like. And if not, here is the goodreads list for best reads for 2020.
This list has been updated for 2020. Thank you for reading!